Sunday, August 23, 2009

Why I Homeschool...

A year ago, Olivia came to me and began begging to be Homeschooled. My first reaction was NO WAY. I am NOT a teacher. Kids need to be IN school. I'm selfish and I enjoy my calm, quiet days. My daughter's education is IMPORTANT! I can't be responsible for ruining it! AND WHAT ABOUT SOCIALIZATION!?!?! So I listened to more whining and begging and this went on for about 6 months. Finally, out of sheer frustration I said, Fine. I will look into it. I thought that's the least I can do, right? What would it hurt? And most importantly, it got her off my back.
So...true to my word, I began doing some research. The more I looked, the more I found that homeschooling has changed sooooo much since my days of youth! Everything I've ever heard on the subject was wrong. So wrong. Finally, I found someone at our church who is an avid Homeschooler and I met with her. She was thrilled to talk to me about it and even invited me into her home to see how she has things set up. That was it for me. I was a believer! Since I've made this decision, I feel really good about it. No wishy-washiness. No worry. Only calm, peaceful. I know this is the right decision for my daughter.
Now, I know it will be a challenge. Especially while we're getting into our "groove." But...my daughter is worth it.
That being said...Is homeschooling right for everyone? Absolutely not. Just like traditional schooling isn't right for every child. My youngest daughter, Danielle, is the opposite of Olivia socially (and many other ways) and I firmly believe she could blossom in a traditional school setting. As of right now, she wants to stay in school and that is totally okay by me. If she changes her mind in a few years, I will definitely be open to homeschooling her.
As for the dreaded SOCIALIZATION issue... Liv is a Girl Scout. She's a member of our church's Choir and Drama team. I feel really certain that she won't have any trouble in this area.
Let me tell you a little bit about her... First, she is a beautiful child. She has her daddy's metabolism so she's a little feather of a thing. She's kind, compassionate, loving, shy and sensitive. She's incredibly smart and introspective. She longs to fit in, but she never will. She's different from most kids because she has a huge heart that loves God. She's got an anointing on her life, a true calling. She's so innocent and as her Mother, I want to protect her as much as possible. I know I can't protect her from everything...and it's a delicate balance as a parent. But, I will do everything in my power to protect her innocence for as long as I can.
Okay. Now for the program we're going to be using this Fall. It's really structured as far as homeschooling goes. You have to keep excellent records. The school year consists of 180 days and 920 hours. Since it's considered public school, she will have to take all tests required by the state. Here's the website to learn more. K12



post signature

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comment! Two things I'd like to say:
1. Be kind please.
2. If you liked this post, why not subscribe?

Subscribe to me! :-)